Flowers and Bugs

Monday 28 April 2014

So, this is what I was doing last Saturday afternoon. Making marzipan decorations to sit atop  cupcakes I had made that morning, ready for the family Easter Sunday afternoon tea. 
I can't say that I have often had much call to make decorations, but this time I was inspired by three things:

1. I had met Frances Quinn, the winner of the Great British Bake Off 2013, at an in-store appearance, where she made her signature marzipan bees.
2. I had recently attended a cake show (post to follow) and bought various bits and bobs that I was desperate to use, and,
3. It was Easter, and honestly, anything goes when it comes to baking. The more fun and colourful, the better.



Flowers and bugs. That was the theme. With a cup of tea, and Radio 2 for company I began. Colouring, shaping, rolling, sticking, stamping, painting, that was me for a good few hours. There is something quite therapeutic in repetition, particularly when you can see what that repetition achieves in front of your eyes. And I love to have something that I can completely immerse myself in and shut out the outside world.

If you would like to try something similar, this is what I used: 
  • White marzipan (any brand from a good supermarket is perfect)
  • Wilton gel colours (I bought mine in store from Lakeland, but they are also available online, here)
  • White pearl sugar balls (mine were from Sainsburys, but you should be available to find them in any good supermarket)
  • Small flower cutters (buy online, here)
  • Edible glue (however, a little bit of icing sugar and water mixed together works just as well)
  • Edible glitter (again, available from Lakeland, here)
  • Flaked almonds
  • Copious quantities of vinyl gloves to prevent your hands from staining when colouring the marzipan. Believe me, you will need them.
  • Fine paint brushes, and finally,
  • My imagination! 

I have not included any recipes in this post as the search is on for the perfect cupcake recipe that I am happy to share with you all. Nothing fancy, just a good vanilla and chocolate cupcake, along with a good vanilla and chocolate buttercream (plus, cupcakes are a whole other topic!). When that day comes, I will let you know, but in the meantime here are a couple of pictures of the finished result.


No comments:

Post a Comment